Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Good bye, Al

Sunday, a man, a teacher & a friend died. At 79, Al Williamson passed away. I know that his health was failing and that he wasn't the same man who had so much to do with my vision of art but Al will always be a singular influence in my life. He was not only a master of the medium of comics but he was a gentleman of no small measure. He showed a young, arrogant artist how to be a better artist and person. I'll never be able to make an accounting of how important he has been in my life. I last saw Al nearly 10 years ago in San Diego and it really saddens me to think I'll never get another chance to thank him. I've been blessed to have some very influential people pass through my life but I have always cherished the relatively short time I had with Al. I could go on and on about this man but how does one find the words to adequately describe and convey how one's artistic nature was fundamentally changed. I've listed my influences ad nauseum here and over the years, but Al was always at the top of my list for reasons other than strictly art. Perhaps The Fleagle Gang can get back together in Art Valhalla. Be seein' ya, Al.

No comments:

Post a Comment