Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Funeral for a Friend

This morning I attended a funeral for a man I barely knew. I renewed our acquaintance about eleven years ago. I met him purely by happenstance and, to be completely honest, I didn't recognize him. However he knew me immediately and I fumbled for a few moments until he let me off the hook. I didn't see him for a couple of years after that. I ran into him at an open house and introduced him to my wife, Stephanie. Again, I was a bit slow on the recognition. Not Steve, he started in like we had just been to lunch. He filled me in on his life and I brought him up to date. I saw him only one more time, in passing, a couple of years ago. Why do I tell you all this? He remembered me from track and cross country in high school. I was a senior and he, I believe, was a sophomore. I didn't have much to do with my own class let alone a lower class. Steve reminded me how I helped acclimate him to the group and that I would run with him at times. Honestly, I don't remember. From the obituary and the eulogies I realize that Steve was a man who made it his goal to put everyone ahead of himself. A lesson I am still learning. Funny how I can miss someone I hardly knew.

No comments:

Post a Comment