Sunday, October 11, 2009

Back in Black

Black conté, that is.  A switch from sanguine to black was a bit startling when I did it and it seemed to affect the way I was approaching the drawing.  Without the warmth of the color I started feeling a bit more constuctionistic about my style.  Perhaps it had to do with the fact that all of my "red" conté crayons are not much more than stumps and the black offered me more of a surface to drag the shading and more of the sharp edges to create the line work.  Or it may have more to do with the feeling I get when I work with the terra cotta, more like infusing the drawing with more than just the cold medium and giving it some sense of life.  No, not life but... something more than just lines and shading.  Eh, I'm probably just tired and babbling on.  Regardless, the red conté has always been something I've felt quite comfortable with and I hope not to stray from it for so long again.
  On another note, my father in law is doing better.  We hope he is moved from ICU today.

No comments:

Post a Comment