Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Pensive

This particular piece is several years old and is one of my favorite models, although she has been unavailable for some time now.
We occasionally use clothed models and this was one of those times. I enjoy the frantic line work to indicate the fabric folds and even the hair. Couple that with the broad strokes of the charcoal to accent and create simple darks makes an interesting drawing for me. There is a lot going on and yet it seems very simplistic with the absence of any extraneous detail to detract from the head, which is the focal point of the sketch. I actually like the black smear at the lower corner as an anchor to the darks of the head and left arm. Often I will leave much of that out, letting the white space become more of a design element.

No comments:

Post a Comment