Friday, August 14, 2009

Something a little different


Instead of posting the whole evening (which you can view on the Black Hand Group site) I'm going to post one at a time and kind of talk (write) my way through the image.
All of these were charcoal on white sketch paper. The gray areas of my images are due to poor lighting in my studio when I shoot these. Back to the drawing. This particular pose drew my attention to the model's left side and the way in which the pectoral muscle formed the armpit area and flowed into the latissimus dorsi. Although I started to develop the lower body I kept going up to the lat area, trying to catch the way the back muscles overlapped until they are taken over by the large mass of the lat. Time ran out and I realized I wasn't working so much on a drawing as on an understanding of what I was seeing. I think that this only happens to me when I am familiar with a model and have gotten over the need to capture the likeness and can get into all of the possibilities that drawing from a live model present.
This was not what I would call a successful drawing but it serves a very important purpose and for that reason I like it.
On a different note I want to thank Sara for stepping in at the last moment when our other model had to pull out due to personal obligations. I am very grateful for the people who we have in our group, artists and models, that help out when things need to be done. Thank you one and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment