Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Last dissection

This was the last drawing of the night and probably the most difficult.  It's never easy, at least for me, to draw the head in an inverted position.  The two dimensional nature of drawing makes for distortions that you can't just change positions to check your proportions and such.  It's not the same as drawing an arm in perspective.  Or the torso even.  No, the head is so recognizable that when you have it correctly drawn it still looks wrong.  The eyes sometimes don't follow the curve the way your brain believes they should.  The chin seems to grow and take up more space than you think it should.  As I said, for me the upside down head is one that challenges me and one that I am rarely happy with.  But it sure is fun to try.
Oh, the rest of the figure?  Well, it resemble a landscape to me, the undulating hills of the rib cage, the way the arms extend out like streams or pathways.  When the body is placed in a less than familiar position, I see connections and not recognizable features.  It really makes for an abstract manner of viewing and rendering.  I don't know if this rambling makes any sense, but that's how I see things.

No comments:

Post a Comment